An energy audit performed by a certified BPI professional from PA Home Energy Consultants / Environspec Ltd is an in-depth energy review of your home. Taking a whole-house approach to analyzing your home is critical in determining methods of improving the comfort and energy efficiency of your home. We will perform a detailed energy audit of your home to help determine the cause of problems arising from heat loss, air bypass as well as thermal insulation issues. This will help you to gauge your home’s energy efficiency as well as determine clear steps that you can take to reduce your energy bills.
If you are a PPL utility customer you may be eligible for audit rebates of up to $250.00 directly from PPL.
Go to http://www.pplelectric.com/e-power/Residential/home+assessment+and+weatherization.htm for details.
A Typical Energy Audit Includes:
- Building Envelope Evaluation
- Door and Window evaluation
- Insulation and Ventilation inspection
- Blower Door Test
- Duct Testing ( Additional Fee applies)
- Heating system test and evaluation
- Cooling system test and evaluation
- Domestic Hot Water system inspection
- Infra-red (IR) scans at auditors discretion.
- Appliance and Lighting efficiency evaluation
Following the audit, we will recommend improvements as part of our report. These may include measures such as: air-sealing and duct-sealing, adding insulation, installation of energy-efficient lighting, and if needed, upgrades to HVAC equipment.
The best solution for most homes often includes a combination of several improvements.
Implementation of the suggested improvements will result in savings in your annual energy usage. Many of the improvements will be fairly simple items that can easily be performed by yourself.
When having others do the work make sure that you get at least two or three detailed bids so that you can compare the cost of the work.
- Duct testing for new construction. Code compliance audit. Determines duct leakage.
- Blower Door testing for new construction. Code compliance audit. Determines building air bypass and leakage.
- Combustion safety testing.
- Blower Door and Combustion safety TEST OUT on completion of building improvements and or renovations. Determines safe occupancy of home as well as improved air bypass levels.
- Energy plan review for new construction and renovations.
- BPI Education classes.